Since the two known versions of this psalm are both for SATB, it is likely it was composed in the 1980s when sopranos joined the Caius College Chapel choir. We have typeset the version for Psalm 142 in E flat minor. The Cambridge University Library Catologue entry for this chant records:
For SATBrB & organ in E flat minor. Originally numbered '89D': this is a transposed copy of Chant 89C in D minor (see MS.Tranchell.4.88). With text of Psalm 142 pointed by P.A. Tranchell.
The full typeset PDF score can be obtained here (or click on the image below).
Please also see our guidance on the use of this score.
. PSALM CXLII. Voce mea ad Dominum.
1. I cried unto the Lord with my voice :
yea, even unto the Lord did I make my supplication.
2. I poured out my complaints before him :
and shewed him of my trouble.
3. When my spirit was in heaviness thou knewest my path :
in the way wherein I walked have they privily laid a snare for me.
4. I looked also upon my right hand :
and saw there was no man that would know me.
5. I had no place to flee unto :
and no man cared for my soul.
6. I cried unto thee, O Lord, and said :
Thou art my hope, and my portion in the land of the living.
7. Consider my complaint :
for I am brought very low.
8. O deliver me from my persecutors :
for they are too strong for me.
9. Bring my soul out of prison, that I may give thanks unto thy Name :
which thing if thou wilt grant me, then shall the righteous resort unto my company.