This programme was kindly provided by Peter Marchbank.
GONVILLE AND CAIUS COLLEGE
8.45 p.m. Monday, 2nd December, 1963
in the Senate House
1. Music from "Dioclesian", Purcell
The Orchestra conducted by Peter Marchbank
Trumpet tune - Canaries - Hornpipe - Dance - Canaries (reprise) - Chaconne - Paspe - Dance (reprise) - Dance of Bacchanals - Canaries (reprise) - Trumpet tune (reprise).
2. First Piano Sonata (of the three, 1936), Hindemith
Peaceful - In the tempo of a very slow march - Lively - Peaceful - Lively
3. Adagio for Strings, Samuel Barber
Conductor: Peter Marchbank
4. Trio in C minor. Op. 1. No. 3, Beethoven
Violin: Alan McNaught. 'Cello: Peter Sewell
Piano: Peter Brice
Allegro con brio - Andante cantabile con variazioni - Quasi Allegro - Prestissimo.
5. Improvisation for piano duet
John West, Peter Tranchell
6. Five Songs for unaccompanied male voices, Dvorak
The Chorus conducted by John West
(1) Village Gossip. A. reflection on the mysterious quickness of neighbours to discover a secret and misconstrue it.
(2) Dwellers by the sea. A warning against asking help from the only people who can give it.
(3) The Love-Promise. A lesson in giving sensible presents and in ensuring their safe delivery.
(4) The Lost Lamb. The dangers of taking trivial requests to high authority.
(5) The Sparrow's Party. The wisdom of having a quick escape-route if one is a bad dancer.