Peter Tranchell was born on 14 July 1922, so 2022 is the centenary year of his birth. To mark this, a group of friends and ex-pupils are working to promote and publicise performances, broadcasts and recordings of his work throughout 2022.
We would be delighted to hear from anyone who is interested in programming music by Peter. This website provides an overview of his musical output with notes that may help those contemplating performances to select pieces that would be suitable in terms of their length and character, the forces required, and the availability of scores. As a starter, we list a few pieces below that we think might be of particular interest in various categories and for which typeset editions are available or close to completion (follow the links to find them). But please do browse the website further – there are so many gems to be found! And if you are already an admirer of Peter's work, please do bring this website and the centenary initiative to the attention of friends and colleagues who might be interested in programming works.
- If ye would hear the angels sing (carol)
- People, look East (carol)
- Fortunare Nos (anthem)
- Cantantibus Organis (anthem)
- Bread of the world (Communion motet)
- The Peace of God (Psalm 133)
- Lord, I call upon Thee (Psalm 141)
- Virgoan Responses
- Libran Responses
- Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis Tone 4 (fauxbourdons for SATB or men's voices)
- Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis in B flat (ATB)
- Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis in C (SATB)
- Various Anglican psalm chants, two of which feature on the recordings of Psalms from St Paul's: 102 and 103
Other choral music
Instrumental and chamber music
- Organ Sonata
- Friendly Grotesques (four hands one piano)
- Sonatina for Flute and Piano
- Sonatina for Piano
- Movements, for flute, viola, bassoon, harpsichord and piano
Do please let us know through our contact form or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in programming a piece. We would be delighted to discuss the suitability of these and many other pieces for your circumstances. We would also be pleased to discuss if we might be able to help with access to scores and parts for other works. And if you would be interested in recording pieces you perform, we’d be pleased to discuss if we might be able to help with that as well.